Petition to renovate Penarth’s playgrounds close to reaching target

Pippa-Marie SheppardCommunity

A petition to upgrade all playgrounds around Penarth Town has almost reached it’s target. Started by the Parent’s Teacher Association at Victoria Primary School, located on Cornerswell Road, the petition is just over one hundred signatures away from reaching it’s five-hundred target.  Pupils attending the school have also called for action to be taken, writing letters to local councillors in … Read More

Town Mayor Backs Fiver Fest

Katherine PeachBusiness, Community, Featured

Penarth’s Town Mayor, Councillor Ian Buckley was delighted to lend his support to Fiver Fest today. The latest Totally Locally Fiver Fest runs from 12th to 26th June, with an array of special £5 offers in Penarth’s independent shops, cafes and businesses. The Mayor said: “I’m proud to be supporting the fabulous idea of Fiver Fest. I visited both Snell’s … Read More

Griffin Books is taking part in this year’s Independent Bookshop Week- Events Calendar

Katherine PeachBusiness, Community, Creative, Events, Featured

Independent Bookshop Week is 19 – 26 June, and is a week run by The Bookseller & Books Are My Bag to celebrate all things Independent Bookshop! Shops around the country will be holding online & in-store events and activities, and it’s generally just a really great week for the Indie Bookshop Community. Griffin Books will be hosting exciting events … Read More

Independent Bookshop Week: Saturday 19th June- Saturday 26th June

Pippa-Marie SheppardBusiness, Community

Griffin Books are welcoming the community of Penarth to join them next week as Independent Bookshop Week begins.  Part of the Books Are My Bag campaign, Independent Bookshop Week is a celebration for independent bookshops across the UK and Ireland.  Beginning on Saturday 19th June, Griffin Books, which is situated on Windsor Road in Penarth, will hold several online events … Read More

New Research Reveals Mental Health Toll of Plastic Pollution in Wales

Katherine PeachCommunity, Featured

On World Refill Day (16th June 2021), a new poll commissioned by City to Sea, in partnership with Friends of the Earth, finds that 61% of adults in Wales felt that the Covid-19 pandemic made them realise that spending time outdoors/ in nature is important to their sense of mental wellbeing. But the research also found that these crucial mental … Read More

Cardiff bus announces new route to Penarth Pier

Pippa-Marie SheppardCommunity, Travel

Cardiff bus has announced that an open-top double decker service will run daily to Penarth Pier as part of their ‘Summer Days Out’ initiative. From the 26th June until the end of August, customers can board the open-top bus (weather permitted) at Wyndham Arcade in Cardiff City Centre and be taken to Penarth Pier, with stops along the way including … Read More

How do Foster Carers impact the lives of those that enter their home?

With Foster Care Fortnight having only been a month ago, here at Penarth View we have spoken to two amazing women who have opened their homes to children and young people, giving them the family and support they required at a time they needed it the most.  Annette Sheppard and Nicola Jones are just two of many foster carers around … Read More

Young woman shares her inspirational story after beating stereotypical norms in hopes to inspire others

A 21-year-old woman who has beaten the stereotypical norms has shared her inspirational story in the hopes of inspiring young people from around the world. Monique Sotomi, who attended Bryn Hafren Comprehensive School, grew up in South Wales and has over-come many obstacles within her life. She said: “My cultural background is both Welsh and Nigerian. I consider Wales as … Read More