A LOOK BACK
AT BELLE VUE PARK
With Music in the Park returning to Belle Vue Park this summer for its 10th consecutive year, we thought weâ€™d take a look back through the archive to find out the history of this popular Penarth park.
|Martin GossageÂ and Karen Martin|
Words by Martin Gossage, Penarth Civic Society and Karen Martin, Chair of Friends of Belle Vue Park
The park occupies the site of a former quarry, which produced some of the blue lias limestone used in local houses. The quarry was filled in at the turn of the century and used for grazing livestock. The ground would never settle to allow house building, so the council acquired the land and opened the park in 1914. It is named after the plant nursery and cottage previously sited on Albert Road.
During WWII, most parks lost their fences to provide war materials. However, the Belle Vue pavilion was used as a wardenâ€™s hut and the original 1914 fencing was left in situ for security. That original fencing is still in place today.
The Friends of Belle Vue Park group made improvements over the years, including sculptures, new fencing, a new childrenâ€™s playground and establishing the sloping play field. As part of the parkâ€™s 2014 centenary event, a new American-designed drinking fountain was unveiled, and a time-capsule was buried, due to be opened in 2064.