Words by PV influencer Claire Jacklin
For the past three months I have been supporting the CollAction â€˜Slow Fashion Seasonâ€™ where you commit to buying nothing brand new for three months, in order to slow down the wasteful fashion industry. Have I found it easy? â€œNo!â€™ Am I glad I have done it? â€œYesâ€ and here are the reasons whyâ€¦
- I have been able to really see what clothes I already own, as I have been forced to dig deep and consciously look at what I would normally just swipe past.Â
- I have re-worn items that have had sentimental value that I probably never would have thought to wear again. Such as the dress that I bought for my honeymoon thirteen years ago! I enjoyed it all over again even if a few of the sequins were hanging off!Â
- My mindset has been altered. Normally I would associate a â€˜new occasionâ€™ with a â€˜new outfitâ€™ I thankfully realise that there is just no need to do this. You can fall in love with past items all over again and make them work harder for their cost per wear.
- I have missed adding new exciting pieces to my wardrobe for which to create â€™new looksâ€™. However, my eyes have been opened to sites such as Depop where you can pick up pre-loved items, which is far better for the environment and also for your wallet too!
- I do love a bargain and I have missed seeing if I can swoop up an item that I have spotted at the beginning of the season, for half the price, at the end of the season. Itâ€™s a game I have played for a long time as I spend a great deal of time in the shops with Clients, so I get a real kick from â€˜stalking & swoopingâ€™ as I like to call it!!
- As a Stylist and hopefully this is only linked to the love of fashion that I have, but I have felt a bit â€˜old hatâ€™ in my outfitsâ€¦I love wearing an updated item but again, that doesnâ€™t have to mean â€˜brand newâ€™. Pre-loved can still be new to you!Â
Has it made me more conscious? Yes it most definitely has. Has it made me re-think about the way I shop? Absolutely. Would I do it again? Yes I would, as I have obviously not spent over the last three months! As Vivienne Westwood says and what I reiterate to my clients is to â€˜â€œBuy less, choose well, make it lastâ€â€™ We really donâ€™t need vast amounts of clothes, we just need ones that co-ordinate well and can be styled in several ways, to create new outfits. As always I am on hand to help you with this if you are stuck in a style rut!
Lets hope ALL brands get on board and produce ethical clothing lines, putting an end to the vast amounts of waste that goes to landfill. We also need to question who made our clothing and in what conditions?
I urge you all to go through your wardrobes and have a good look at what you already own. You will be surprised to rediscover garments that you had completely forgotten about. Why not get together for a style swap and get your â€˜newâ€™ from a friend? Try the charity shops, there really are some hidden gems to be found. Look at Depop and eBay and keep an eye for larger events that support pre-loved clothing.Â Together we can make a difference and hopefully â€˜slow fashionâ€™ will be the norm for the younger generations, making us all far more aware of what we put on our backs.Â
I was very pleased to see that my daughterâ€™s new school t-shirts from M&S were clearly labeled with â€˜responsibly sourced cottonâ€™ and had the â€˜Stay Newâ€™ technology logo across the packaging. This technology helps garments to look newer for longer and by doing so we reduce its waste, carbon and water footprint by retaining it as opposed to replacing it.Â A great start to the new school term and by â€˜sizing upâ€™ they will hopefully last her a little longer too!
-Much love, Claire xx
Shopping without the dent in your bank balance! Come and swap clothes you no longer wear and give others a new home! Claire Jacklin will also be inspiring us to ditch the fast fashion, shop out wardrobes, and get a new look without hurting out wallets or the planet.Â
Parish Hall, Dinas Powys, CF64 4AL
Friday 20th September, 7:30pm-9:30pm
To discover your true style personality and so much more, why not book in for a Colour and Style Consultation with myself! It may be that you needÂ a wardrobe refresh, or you wishÂ to know which colours suit you the most. A Style Consultation gives us the opportunity to chat through your needs and helps us decide which is the best session for you. All details of the services I offer are on my website.